Wombourne Cricket, Tennis and Bowling Club would like to install a Defibrillator (or AED), within the club grounds for easy public access, 24/7, to assist with events of Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA)! Why?
- 100,000 deaths from SCA occur each year in the UK.
- 270 children die in the UK every year after suffering a SCA at school.
- 70% of SCA occur outside of a hospital environment.
- 50% increase in surviving a SCA with CPR. 33% increase in victim’s chance of survival when an AED is used.
- 90-95% of SCA Victims will die without immediate treatment.
- If an AED is used and effective CPR is performed within 3-5 mins of SCA victim’s chance of survival increase from 6% to 74%.
- The emergency services average response time to a cardiac event incident in an urban area is 11 minutes.
- For every minute that goes by where a victim of SCA does not receive treatment, their chance of survival decreases by 10-14%.
- Only 22% of people in the UK would be confident of performing CPR on a stranger.
Wombourne Cricket, Tennis & Bowling Club provides facilities for our three sports club as well as a social club for all members to enjoy. All three sports clubs have a number of teams with members of all ages. Our teams play league and competition matches throughout the year, which attract visiting teams and their supporters from across the country. All our sports clubs have junior teams, whose members start exploring the joys of sport from as young as 5 years old and many of them go onto to play for their teams until a senior age.
We are proud of our central location in the village and we want to provide an AED to the community that can be accessed 24/7. We are surrounded by churches, pubs, clubs, shops and other leisure facilities, who we feel may benefit from having easy access to an AED.
We are all aware of the AED located on the exterior wall of the local butchers but from our preliminary findings we suspect this AED is not regularly serviced, inspected or managed. Therefore, when it is needed most, it may not be accessible or may not work.
By installing an AED at our location, we will ensure that it is well maintained, regularly inspected, always at full charge and more importantly there for our community when someone needs it most!
Every £1 would help us achieve this!